Elementary and Secondary Education Department is the biggest of all departments of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. It has more than 1,68,000 employees which are about 55% of the total employees of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. 4.17 million students are learning in more than 28000 Government institutions having more that 1,23,380 teachers.
- Formulation of policies, strategies and regulations for Schools Education & Literacy.
- Preparation of Annual Developmental Program (ADP) for Elementary and Secondary Education Sector.
- Processing of developmental projects.
- Monitoring and review of developmental Projects and schemes in coordination with concerned Directorates/PIUs.
- Improvement of Literacy and quality/standard at Primary and secondary education level.
- Financial Management (Recurring/non-recurring Budgets) and auditing of the Provincial Level releases to Schools & Literacy Department including PAC/DAC.
- Education Management Information System and Geographic Information System
- Regulation, Registration and Supervision of Private Teacher Training Institutions through BISEs.
- Preparation of draft Acts/Ordinances as per need for the approval of provincial assembly/ Chief Executive of the Province.
- Attending to the questions/queries of the Provincial/National Assemblies and Senate pertaining to Schools & Literacy sector in the province.
- Dealing the matters of BISEs & Public Schools in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- Inter District posting/transfers of Officers of Provincial cadre (BPS-17 and above) in Schools on recommendations of the Directorates of Elementary and Secondary Education Department
- Processing of Selection grade, Move-over, Pension, GP fund final payment and Promotion cases for approval of the competent forum at Provincial Level in accordance with the existing approved Policy.
- Coordination with the Federal Government and Donors.
- Inter Provincial admissions in teachers training institutes on reciprocal basis.
- Performance evaluation reports of Provincial cadre Officers (ACRs).
- Processing the cases of short and long-term foreign visits/training and award of Scholarships for approval of the competent forum.
- Any other task assigned by the government.